Frequently Asked Question
- Is a Gold Chain real gold?
- This is the top question, and the answer is Yes and No! A gold chain can definitely be made of solid karat gold like 10 or 14 karat, but it can also be gold-filled electroplated or gold overlay with karat gold to look almost identical to the solid karat gold version. The difference of course is that a solid karat gold chain costs more than a gold-filled gold chain. The obvious question then must be, is a gold-filled gold plated chain bad? The answer is definitely NO! The modern-day gold-filled gold plating processes are actually quite enduring and beautiful. Having the choice of a karat gold or superior gold-filled plated gold chain is an important opportunity to fully understand. It is important to have these two options. This is why many smart shoppers go to SuperJeweler.com where they get great service, the best selection, and the lowest gold chain prices.
- What is the difference between a solid karat Gold Chain and a gold-filled Gold Chain?
- A solid karat gold chain is made completely of 10 or 14 karat gold. This means that even if the chain is broken or melted it will still have the karat gold value. In contrast, a gold-filled gold chain has a layer of karat gold applied to a chain. The best gold-filled gold chains are sterling silver chains plated with 14 karat gold with high-technology electroplating processes that can last for many years. The processes are quite good, and the chains are very durable. However, unlike the solid karat gold chain mentioned above if the gold-filled gold chain is broken or melted it does not have a recoverable karat gold value. Finding the best gold chain whether solid karat gold or gold-filled, you will always find the best price and selection at SuperJeweler.com
- Can a Gold Chain break?
- Yes, a gold chain can break, a gold chain can break due to many different reasons. A gold chain can break because the gold chain connection breaks, the clasps break, there are manufacturing defects, the pendant on the gold chain is too heavy, the gold chain gets weakened, and tugging on the gold chain. The best way to avoid a gold chain breaking is to select the right gold chain to prevent the possibility of the gold chain from breaking. Another way to avoid your gold chain breaking is buying from a reputable company like SuperJeweler.com . At SuperJeweler.com, they can tell you which gold chain to buy to avoid having your gold chain break. SuperJeweler can also help solve your gold chain breaking by fixing your gold chain.
- How much should a Gold Chain cost?
- The price of a gold chain depends on a few factors. Is the gold chain solid karat gold, like 10 or 14 karat and how much does it weigh? Is the gold chain a gold-filled gold chain? And is the gold chain manufactured with simple or intricate links or processes? Here are three different 18 inch examples found at SuperJeweler.com: at $99.99 this is a 10 karat gold 0.6mm wide Venetian box gold chain; at $239.99 this is a 14 karat gold-filled plated figaro gold chain 4.2mm wide that is very nice weight and excellent durability; and at $849.99 this is a 14 karat gold 3.6mm wide curb link with a nice weight and beautiful feel. The range of price at a full service jeweler like SuperJeweler.com for a gold chain is from about $15 to $10,000.
- Can you wear a Gold Chain every day?
- A gold chain can be worn every day with proper care and understanding. Regardless of whether you buy a solid karat gold chain or a gold-filled chain, you should be able to wear in most every day. You be able to wear your gold chain under normal relaxed, casual, and formal conditions. You should be able to shower wearing your gold chain because most body soaps and hair shampoos should not affect the gold chain. Extreme caution should be taken if you go swimming in a swimming pool as chlorine reacts poorly to a gold chain, so do not swim with your gold chain. Also, you should avoid playing contact sports while wearing a gold chain as there is a possibility that your gold chain could be pulled causing damage to the gold chain or harm to the skin on your neck. For the same reason you should be very careful sleeping while wearing your gold chain and playing with small children. Better safe than sorry.
- Can you wear a Gold Chain to bed?
- Sleeping while wearing a gold chain is not the worst thing you can do. A gold chain can generally withstand normal wear and tear, and the chances of damaging it while you sleep are relatively minimal. One of the benefits of keeping your jewelry with you at all times is that you can't lose it.
- Can you wear a Gold Chain in the shower?
- You can wear your gold chain in the shower or bathtub because most body soaps and hair shampoos should not affect the gold chain. However, extreme caution should be taken if you go swimming in a swimming pool or hot tub as chlorine reacts poorly to a gold chain, so do not swim with your gold chain.
- Can you wear more than one Gold Chain at a time?
- Wearing more than one gold chain at a time is a fantastic looking fashion trend. You can wear a gold chain with different lengths, widths, or styles all at the same time. This wardrobe statement is referred to as “layering”. Many will also layer a gold chain with a diamond or gemstone necklace. Tangling is not an issue to some people as it is a very casual and laidback look. Try it and see what fits your style!
- Can a Gold Chain break and be repaired?
- Yes, a gold chain can break, and usually be repaired. Generally, a gold chain can break due to many different reasons. A gold chain can break because the gold chain connection breaks, clasps break, manufacturing defects, the pendant on the gold chain is too heavy, the gold chain gets weakened, and tugging on the gold chain. The best way to avoid a gold chain breaking is to select the right gold chain to prevent the possibility of the gold chain from breaking. One way to avoid your gold chain from breaking is to buy it from a reputable jeweler like SuperJeweler.com. The experts at SuperJeweler can tell you which gold chain to buy, plus they have a lifetime guarantee so you do not need to worry about your gold chain breaking.
- What occasions can you wear a Gold Chain?
- A gold chain can be for everyday events casual and formal. The fashion styling of wearing a gold chain does not have rules. Wearing a gold chain for work or a casual evening out is totally acceptable. As for formal occasions, wearing a gold chain is perfect and luxurious.
How To Choose A Gold Chain
How to Select the Style of a Gold Chain
Selecting the style of a gold chain is very important but not so difficult as it is a personal choice that has no wrong answer. In general, you select the link style; type of precious metal; and gold chain length. There are so many different styles of links. Here are a few of the most popular link styles.
How to Select the Precious Metal for a Gold Chain
Selecting the precious metal for your gold chain is a matter of personal choice and price. Luckily, a gold chain looks great in all the colors of gold and sterling silver. You can really follow your own personal style and select the metal color that you prefer the most. Whether you are selecting a gold chain that is solid karat gold like 10 or 14 karat gold or a gold chain that is gold-filled, the color of the precious metal is the same personal choice. Remember that a solid karat gold chain cost more than a gold-filled gold chain, but this has nothing to do with the color of the precious metal. Here are the color differences.
How to Wear More Than One Gold Chain
Wearing more than one gold chain at a time is a fantastic looking fashion trend. You can wear a gold chain with different lengths, widths, or styles all at the same time. This wardrobe statement is referred to as “layering”. Many will also layer a gold chain with a diamond or gemstone necklace. Tangling is not an issue to some people as it is a very casual and laidback look. Try it and see what fits your style. Here are examples of how to wear a gold chain and gold chain layering looks.
How to Use a Gold Chain as a Push Present
The gift of jewelry makes a great push present. A gold chain is great for a mother delivering a baby regardless of the birthing month. Having a baby is life changing and that is why gifting fine jewelry is so appropriate. Just think, every time Mom looks at her beautiful gold chain, she will think about the glorious day of delivery. How special is that?
How to Clean your Gold Chain
Cleaning a gold chain is very simple, and you can generally do it yourself. Start by creating a mixture of warm water and a few drops of mild dishwashing soap. Soak your gold chain for about 10 – 15 minutes and then gently brush the links and clasp with a new soft-bristled toothbrush. Then rinse your gold chain under warm running water to remove the soap film. Gently dry your gold chain with a soft cloth taking care not to bend any links. For an elevated sparkle you can use a professionally formulated jewelry cleaner. Steam and ultrasonic cleaning are recommended by a trained professional.
How to Ensemble Your Gold Chain
Once you have selected your gold chain adding a complimenting ring, earrings, and bracelet is quite easy. A gold chain goes with most every other piece of fine jewelry. The most important thing is that your jewelry wardrobe is a self-expression all your own. There is really no right or wrong.